San Bruno gas fire leaves 7 dead – UPDATE

By
September 10, 2010

23:16 PDT SAN BRUNO —

The gas explosion that left 15 acres of San Bruno in ruins Thursday night has taken the lives of 7 victims, after cadaver dogs uncovered 3 more victims, according to the California Beat. 6 people are still missing.

The San Mateo County Coroner’s Office released the identities of three of four victims who were originally found dead on Friday, according to the California Beat. The victims have been identified as Jessica Morales, 20, Jacqueline Greig, 44, and her 13-year-old daughter Janessa Greig.

A previous estimate of 53 homes destroyed has now been decreased to 38, according to officials.

At a news conference this morning, PG&E President Chris Johns told reporters that no one had been able to get close enough to the gas line to determine the cause of the explosion.

Other PG&E officials told the Los Angeles Times today that they were looking into complaints from customers about smelling gas before the explosion on Thursday. They also said that the 30-inch steel gas pipeline had been identified and the gas flow stopped. Crews are planning to walk through the neighborhood today to make estimates of the damage and to investigate the gas transmission system, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Early this morning, 12 hours after the initial explosion, the flames were 75% contained, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

City Manager Connie Jackson told the Chronicle that some of the over 100 people evacuated may be able to return to their homes today.

The Campanil has received information about one Mills student who was evacuated Thursday night. She has yet to comment on the tragedy.

One Mills alumna, Joyce Yee, class of 1990, commented last night on The Campanil’s facebook post about the fire.

“We lived across the street from the park that blew up. Our kids used to play there! Our former house is toast” she said.

Please send any information you have about Mills students, faculty, staff or alumnae that may have been affected by this disaster to sliter@thecampanil.com or comment on The Campanil’s facebook posts.


San Bruno gas fire leaves 7 dead – UPDATE was published on September 10, 2010 in News

Print this page Print this page