This year’s pin was donated by Patty Green Herbert, who graduated from Mills in 1939. Herbert was the president and program chair of the AAMC from 1941-1958.
The idea for the Pearl M pin originated with the graduating class of 1902, who called themselves the “naughty twos.” They wanted to create a keepsake to commemorate their days at Mills.
The Pearl M pin is a small gold pin in the shape of an M, slightly bigger than a dime, embedded with one small pearl. They are available for purchase from the Mills bookstore. They are produced in limited editions, and are designed for Mills seniors and alumnae to wear. Every year a few alumna donate their own Pearl M pins to be passed down to the next generation of Mills women at the Pearl M dinner, their way of honoring these future leaders.
The annual Pearl M dinner was held April 7 in the Orchard Meadow dining room, and was hosted by the Reinhardt Alumnae House.