Whether you have a gluten allergy, are lactose intolerant, or looking for some vegan-friendly recipes for this holiday season, look no further!
Gluten-free Vegan Gingerbread Waffles
A perfect holiday breakfast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Turn on the waffle maker to the desired temperature setting.
- Whisk almond milk, coconut oil, pumpkin puree, molasses and ground flax seeds together in a medium-sized bowl, Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice, ground cloves and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients
- Ladle enough waffle mixture into your waffle maker so the bottom of the waffle maker is filled. Then cook!
Recipe adapted from Gwen Leron at delightfuladventures.com
Vegan Cauliflower Casserole
Sharable festive dish
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted (also some to grease dish)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk (or any milk alternative)
- 1 cup vegetable broth with low sodium
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour/starch
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200° C). Grease a 3-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- Combine the melted butter, breadcrumbs and a bit of granulated garlic into a small bowl. Set aside.
- To soak the cashews, boil water and then remove from heat. Add cashews and cover for 15–20 minutes, until soft.
- Next steam the cauliflower. Place about 1″ of water into a med/large pot that can fit a steamer basket. Place basket on the bottom and cover the pot with a lid. Turn heat to high and till it boils. Once boiling, turn heat to med-low and place cauliflower into the basket. Then cover and steam for 7–10 minutes, Uncover and remove from heat source.
- Drain and rinse cashews. Then place all cheese sauce ingredients in a blender. Blend until cashews have completely broken down and the sauce is smooth which takes a couple of minutes.
- Pour cheese sauce into a medium skillet/pot over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until it thickens it should become slightly stretchy. Stir often.
- Pour 1/2 the cheese sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish. Then add the cauliflower on top in one layer. Pour the remaining cheese sauce on top of the cauliflower. Now add the prepared breadcrumbs and cover.
- Put in the oven for 15–20 minutes, until cheese is hot and bubbly. Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown. Remove from the oven. And Enjoy your dish!
Recipe adapted from Melissa Huggins at veganhuggs.com